GShield 0.9.5

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2007 at 8:15 PM
Well I thought I would let 0.9.4 sit for a while before starting on 0.9.5. This release will have some bug fixes, notifications and support for detecting OpenGL based games no just DirectX based games. More details to come shortly.
Coordinator
Jul 2, 2007 at 6:25 PM
With July 4th here in a couple of days I'm holding off on a release till after this week. There are a number of issues that will be fixed in the 0.9.5 release, but I don't want to get to specific until I've wraped the development of those up. Have a happy July 4th.
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2007 at 4:37 PM
Well the July 4th week of heck is over, I truely hate holidays in the middle of a work week. I've recovered enough to begin the work on 0.9.5. This will involve more testing, OpenGL work, more work on the documentation, code commenting, FxCop analysis, email alerts, bug fix for desktop interactivity for the Sentinel service and other minor cosmetic changes. I would also like to get the Time Of Day restriction policy working but as I like to keep the interations down to a 2 or 3 week sprint I don't know if that will make the cut.
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2007 at 5:26 PM
I'm a huge fan of having the database under source control. At work we use Database Professional, which I LOVE, but as this is an OSS project I am using the standard DB project to script out the database as a whole, (Version Create Scripts) and change scripts. This will be important to update previous versions as well as keeping everyone on the same page for database changes. Though the database as a whole is included in the Data project I still feel it's important to have the scripts under source control. This will be a non-visible change, but still important.

I'll be adding issues to cover the other changes in this release.
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2007 at 5:52 PM
Basic OpenGL support is almost complete, but will require more tweaking in the future. I want to pull the module names from hard coded strings in the ProcessHelper class of the DirectX and OpenGL and put them in metadata, probably in a table in the local database. I've locked most of the work for the 0.9.5 release down as there might be a major change for the next release.
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2007 at 5:06 AM
I'm puting a number of finishing touches on the release now. A lot has been fix thus far, changelog below, and I'm hoping to squeeze in email notifications before the release. Currently working on the documentation a little and conducting more testing. This itteration lasted a little too long so I hope to push it out soon.

Major Changes
Trim Non-Exact Results code path for ESRB Ratings queries
Simple Message system to centralize GShield messages
Advisor Web Service updated with 'Ex' method for Trim-Non Exact queries
Added Sentinel support for detecting OpenGL based games
Removed ESRBSite and ESRBParser sub-classes from the ESRBManager system
Minor Changes
Code commenting and summaries for most Library objects
GUI Changes in Options window for Trim Non-Exact Results
Made log windows in GUI use the WindowManager
Added menu buttons under tools menu to start the Sentinel and Watchdog systems
Added Database project to manage create and change scripts for the GShield database
Added simple NUnit Unit Testing project stub for future unit testing stubs
Watcher changes to use the ProcessHelper singleton
Changes to ProcessHelper to get all (DirectX, OpenGL, and Other) games in one method call
Breaking Changes
None
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2007 at 4:52 AM
I'm pushing 0.9.5 up to source control now and will have the binary and source files uploaded shortly also. In addition to the above post I also added a basic email alerting system.

This itteration was longer then the others, about 1 month plus I took a little bit of time before starting this release. I'm hoping to have a release every month or so. Additioanlly the database updaing still wasn't added, I just ran out of time and I'm hoping to get that in there soon. So you will have to uninstall and reinstall to get the new version.