GShield 0.9.4

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2007 at 5:52 PM
I've started work on the 0.9.4 release. This release will primarily be a bugfix and reporting release but will contain the first implementation of the Watchdog process. The job the watchdog is to sit in the background and monitor the GShield Sentinel process and SQLExpress. Eventually the watchdog will be responsible for backing up the GShield database and program files, but that won't be in this release.

I will also be working on upgrade paths for the installer. Currently you have to uninstall the old version and install the new one. This solution is not acceptable and I'll be working hard to get this functionality working. My goal for the 0.9.4 release is no 'new' features but just trying to shore up the currently planned or implemented features. The Time Of Day watcher and email alerting system won't make it into this release.
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2007 at 12:41 AM
I'm currently testing a number of changes that were made to the DAO. I remove almost all the database sprocs and replaced them with inline SQL. There was no performance difference in testing between the sprocs and the new parameterized inline SQL and the volume just isn't there to warrant it. I'll be working on the DAO for a bit longer, attempting to no violate the DRY principal (Pragmatic Programmer) with some of the inline SQL.

Once the testing is done and everything is looking good I will release the 0.9.4, tracking for the end of this week. The 0.9.4 release also has a high impact fix for the Sentinel service where it's possible for the Sentinel service to try to start before the SQLExpress service is completely initialized, causing it to error out and not start.
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2007 at 3:16 PM
I just uploaded the 0.9.4 changeset and the release packages. This was the first time I used Clean Sources Plus http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000368.html on the release source tree and it seems to work ok and was far faster then doing it by hand. If there is a problem with the tree just download the changeset from the source code tab.